Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mt. Washington Observatory Weather post!

I enjoy going to MountWashington.org to find the weather conditions on top of Mt. Washington. Mount Washington can be a very dangerous mountain. It has already taken the lives of 136 people when I last looked on top. They have a list of everyone and how their life ended on this mountain. Traveling up this mountain, the weather changes fast, you can feel a breeze one moment, and then next feel like you are going to fly off the trail!
Today they have a "A Wind Chill Advisory is in effect today through midnight EST tonight..." That means you need to have the rights gear, clothes and plenty of water for a hike up. I don't hike in January for the weather in the Presidential Range is extremely cold and unpredictable.  When I hike during July through September, I have dealt with Hail, freezing rain and HIGH winds. So, I can't image what I would run into during this time for year. Though, some hikers do hike.
This was in the forecast for today "This trend will continue through the day today, with falling temperatures and gusty northwest winds that will consistently crest over 100 mph." I have been up when it was 40-45 mph and I thought I was going to get blown off! 100 mph!!
To remind me of how much respect I have for this amazing mountain, I look back at my adventures up the trails and the beautiful views I have seem when I get to the top. Here are a few wonderful pictures of Mt. Washington and the views around the area.


 This is the top of Mt. Washington. When me and my friends started our hike, it was warm and sunny. When we got to the top, it was so cold and windy, we needed to buy gloves and hats. They do sell them on top all year long! Plus they have great soup!



I love this picture for you can see how close we were to the clouds. At times the clouds where covering everything and we couldn't see no more then a foot or two in front of us. In the picture we were very close to the top, I was looking back at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. By now, I was getting cold and ready to find warmth.










Remember that this is a wonderful Mountain to hike, by always check the weather and be prepared for anything. You never know what this beautiful mountain will throw you way! Happy Hiking:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...